Beef and Bean Taco Salad
- 1 pound ground lean beef (or turkey/chicken)
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 cloves, crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black or green olives
- 14 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- Corn chips
- Finely chop onion. Pre-heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Spray skillet with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil when skillet is heated.
- Cook ground beef with onions and garlic.
- When beef is almost cooked, add salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder. and cayenne. When fully cooked, add frozen corn and tomato sauce. Cook on medium for another 2-3 minutes. Keep warm.
- While beef is cooking, wash and dry lettuce. Tear lettuce into a large salad bowl.
- Rinse kidney beans and drain. Add drained beans to lettuce in the salad bowl. Add sliced olives, shredded cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk yogurt and salsa. You may want to add fresh lime juice.
- Add beef and corn mixture to the salad bowl. Add 2 oz of corn chips. Toss with the dressing and serve. Garnish with additional corn chips.
Tip: Serve with fruit such as pineapple or mango to round out the meal. You can spice this up by adding fresh chopped cilantro, sliced bell peppers, avocado, or cucumbers.