Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More research about Splenda shows harmful effects

Yes, those yellow packets are everywhere from Starbucks to office kitchens. An interesting article posted today on Mercola.com talks about the dangerous effects of using Splenda. So many products have Splenda from sodas to ice tea mixes. I stay away!

Dr. Mercola says it perfectly:
"It’s very important to realize that Splenda (sucralose) is actually NOT sugar, despite its marketing slogan 'Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar.' Rather it’s a chlorinated artificial sweetener in line with aspartame and saccharin, and with detrimental health effects to match."

I've been using Stevia as a calorie free sweetener for years. I use Stevia in my tea, coffee, and smoothies. The protein powder that I use for my smoothies does not have sugar, so I use a bit of Stevia extract to sweeten the natural sugars in the fruit.

Stevia is a natural sweetener made from a plant extract. Splenda is not sugar! It's loaded with chemicals that actually remove healthy bacteria from your body! And the article mentions something that is commonly attributed to high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), the dangerous result that your body loses it's efficiency to regulate your blood sugar naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment