I came up with this idea for a quick meal when I was working 6 days a week and still making lunches for me and Aaron every day. It packs well for lunches and you can make it very quickly. I like to serve with this with fruit.
A couple make-ahead ideas can really help you for quick weeknight meals. On Sundays, I cook chicken breast under the broiler and keep it on-hand for the coming week for meals like this or salads. To help you during a crazy week, you can also wash and cut broccoli into florets and store in a sealed plastic bag for later use. Or sometimes, I blanch broccoli ahead of time and use for salads or other quick meals.
Broccoli, Chicken, and Cheese Baked Potato
- 1 medium golden potato
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets (if using frozen, defrost)
- 4 oz cooked and seasoned chicken breast
- 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs sour cream
- 2 tsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, add water and heat on high to bring to a boil.
- Scrub potato and pierce with a fork. Cover in wax paper and cook in the microwave using the "Baked Potato" setting. If you don't have it. Try for 5 minutes and add more time until the potato is soft.
- When water is boiling, add broccoli. Cook until bright green 3 minutes. Drain and add back into pan. Season with a small amount of butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- When potato is cooked, season with butter and salt and pepper and put on a serving plate.
- Add cold, cooked chicken and cooked broccoli to the potato. Spinkle with cheese and warm in the microwave or under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a drop of sour cream and you're ready to eat.
TIP: my favorite chicken seasoning is Mural of Flavor from Penzeys Spices and it's also salt-free. The seasoning has a spring-like fresh flavor. When you buy from their site, they send you a small free sample.