Sunday, February 1, 2009

Power breakfast that kept me running, literally!



My "power breakfast" gave me lots of energy this morning for my workout. I jogged on the treadmill for 50 minutes and 3.6 miles. Yeah, not a fast runner! I go for aerobic endurance. Anyway, since I felt so good working out, I thought I'd share the easy breakfast. I made this for me and Aaron, but this recipe is for 1 serving. You can easily prep this for the work week by doing the broccoli ahead and cracking the eggs into a plastic container like in the picture.



Broccoli, Ham and Cheddar Cheese Omelet with Toast and Hash Browns

Ingredients:
3 eggs (1 whole; 2 whites)
1 cup broccoli
1/2 oz ham (or turkey bacon or Canadian bacon)
1/2 oz cheese
1 cup frozen hash browns
1 slice whole grain bread
Butter
Cooking spray
Salt & pepper

How:
  1. (Blanch Broccoli) In a small saucepan, add water (half-full) and heat on high. Bring water to a boil. Preheat medium size non-stick skillet and heat on medium high for hash browns. Preheat small skillet on medium heat (for eggs).
  2. While water is coming up to a boil, rinse broccoli and cut into small florets. Cut ham in small pieces.
  3. Crack eggs and separate 2 of the eggs into a small bowl. Discard the two yolks. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Medium skillet should be warm. Spray skillet with cooking spray and drop in frozen hash browns. Let hash browns cook on medium and stir in a small amount of butter (1 tsp) and add salt and pepper.
  5. Water should be boiling. Drop in the florets and cook for 2-3 minutes until bright green. Drain in colander and put back in small saucepan. Season with a bit of butter, salt and pepper. Keep warm. Otherwise, broccoli won't have much flavor.
  6. While hash browns are cooking, spray small skillet with cooking spray. Beat eggs with a fork and add to preheated small skillet. Allow eggs to cook in a single even layer. Pull from the sides so the eggs can fill in and cook.
  7. While eggs are cooking, watch hash browns by stirring to ensure they are cooking through and not sticking.
  8. Toast bread.
  9. Flip when eggs are set. Immediately add cooked broccoli, diced ham, and shredded cheese to half the eggs. Pull the empty side of the omelet over to cover the filling and pull off the heat onto a plate.
  10. Serve the eggs with hot sauce if desired. If the cheese isn't melted, put the omelet in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve the toast and hash browns and you're ready to go.

For digestion, I wait 2 hours after I eat to exercise. I also had a liter of water before the gym and another liter during my workout.

Can't wait for breakfast? Here's a tip: If you're starving when you're cooking breakfast because you wake up hungry (like me!), I snack on fruit while I'm preparing breakfast. Good thing I had some cubed pineapple in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment