Monday, February 2, 2009

Snacks in my purse...

I went to Aaron's grandmother's funeral a couple weeks ago. The service was long, so my stomach was growling. In the car, on the way to cemetery, I pulled out my apple and started snacking because I knew it would be over an hour before lunch. Aaron laughed at me because he wondered where the apple came from and I told him I planned it all along!

Snacks in my purse are perfect for when I'm on the way out of the house for more than 4 hours and I know I'll be hungry. Realistically, if you have a healthy metabolism and exercise often, you will get hungry while you're out for the day.

Has this happened to you? You're out running errands or at an event and there is nothing to eat, expect for monster pretzels (that really serves 3 people), candy bars or worse yet fast food! Let's face it, you're weak when you're hungry! I'm convinced if you stuff your bag with a healthy portable snack in your bag (guys, try your computer/gym bag), you will have the energy you need to keep going.

My personal favorites for portable healthy snacks:
    • Apple (cored and cut in a baggie so the apple doesn't bruise and get dirty)
    • Trail mix (Trader Joe's sells the individual servings or use "snack-size" bags to portion a serving of trail mix)
    • Dried apricots (or raisins, dried cherries, etc)
    • Baby carrots
    • String cheese (only for a couple hours outside of the fridge)
    • Larabar (mix of fruit and nuts)

The bottom line is that you need something that can withstand being in your bag for a few hours without refrigeration. It's best to pack something that you don't need utencils to eat. Plus, it's less conspicious, right!

Share your snack ideas. Add a comment to tell me your favorite non-perishable, healthy snack that is easy to eat on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment