Cooking meatballs under the broiler in the oven is easy, they hold their shape, and cook evenly.
Easy Basic Meatballs
Serves 4 (or 16-meatballs)
Experiment with different variations or spices depending on the sauce or theme of your dish. For white sauces, add ground nutmeg. For marinara sauces, add basil, oregano, or red pepper flakes.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground turkey. If defrosting the meat, chop the onion and parsley while you're waiting. Beat egg and add to bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- With your hands, mix the meatball ingredients until they are well incorporated.
- Form 4 sections with your hands in the bowl to roughly create 1/4 increments. Then form each 1/4 pound section into 4 equal parts. Form the meatball by rolling in your hands.
- Place each formed meatball on the cooking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- When finished, place the cooking sheet directly under the broiler for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Use tongs to gently flip the meatballs to the other side and finish for an additional 6 minutes.
Serve with sauce immediately. The entire process will take you about 25 minutes.