Here is a photo of my breakfast today, which will give me enough energy for my workout and errands this morning. My power breakfast is steelcut oats, cooked with pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract, and topped with honey, fresh blueberries, slivered almonds and lowfat milk. Blueberries are an antioxidant and are high in fiber, but low in sugar.
The entire breakfast is 350 calories, 7g fiber, and 12g protein. Eating whole grains gives you longer, slow-burning energy and stamina to help you through your activities.
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking steelcut oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. When water is boiling, add steelcut oats. Reduce heat and add oats. Stir. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Check oats after 3 minutes. Stir in pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Cover. After full 7 minute cooking time, let stand for 1 more minute (covered).
- Rinse and drain blueberries - or better yet, do that when you buy them and store them in an airtight container to use them faster.
- Serve oats in a bowl and stir in honey. Add blueberries, almonds, and top with milk. Now, you're ready to eat.
Update after my workout: I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill and did a 40 minute strength training workout and went grocery shopping and I feel great. I think the breakfast was the perfect fuel!