Friday, June 26, 2009

Exclusive Interview: Mom of Two Trains for First Marathon and Shares Her Tips

Catherine and I have been friends for 8 years, since before her kids were born. Catherine amazes me with the grace of how as she balances a marketing career, a healthy marriage, being a hands-on mom to her two young children, and always staying committed to her health and wellness. Now taking it to the next level, Catherine is training for her first marathon with Team in Training this October in San Francisco. Her mother was originally concerned that she would push herself too hard, but when you talk to her, you realize that she's reaching new levels of satisfaction and personal growth and her family is extremely proud.

I asked her to share her training tips because so many people say that they can't find time for exercise. If training for a marathon isn't your goal, that's ok. Use her practical tips to find ways to train for a 5k run or simply balancing exercise in your hectic life. My goal in this blog is to always give you ways to balance healthy living goals with the constraints of time and money, your most valuable resources. Read on....

QUICK BITES: How do you find the time to fit in your training between your full time job and busy family life?

CATHERINE: Great question! A few years ago I would have said that there is no way I could find the time to train for a marathon having 2 kids under the age of 3. Now that the children are a bit older (3 and 5) it is easier. Also, my husband, Gerry, is a great supporter of mine. Getting the training in is hard but I get up every Monday and Wednesday mornings and head out to the gym for 40 minutes. I am usually there at 5:30am and I am back before the children are awake. Tuesday nights from 6:15 to 8:00pm I do track training…definitely not my favorite portion of the training but they say I need to do it to improve. Thursday nights from 6:15 to 7pm I usually run 4 miles and then on Saturdays I run my long run which is anywhere between 8 to 16 miles. I start at 7am and I am back before noon – so I still have time to have fun with my kids.

QUICK BITES: What is your psychological motivation technique when training is hard? So much of training is physical, but it can be a psychological battle too.

CATHERINE: What I am finding is that doing it with a team is easier than by yourself. So many times, when I know no one is waiting for me, I will have a tendency to flake on the training. With a team and friends training for the same event, and same cause, it makes it fun and helps you keep your motivation up. Also, when your 3 year old and 5 year old look at you in the eyes and say “Maman will run a marathon soon” it makes you want to keep going.

QUICK BITES: Are you eating differently to support your training efforts? For example, do you eat more calories? If so, do you calculate it or just "wing it?"

CATHERINE: I am working out 5 times a week, one would think I would lose some weight. Well, to the contrary, since I now have to include carbs in my diet, I have gained weight. I was one of these neurotic ones that would always try to avoid cards to stay slender….what I am realizing is that by doing so I completely deprived my body of carbs and now my thighs are hanging on to every calorie they can! I am definitely eating more calories and I need to! If I do not eat enough calories or hydrate myself correctly, I do not do as well during my runs. Funny you ask if I am winging it or calculating my calorie intake. Until last night, I was definitely winging it but I have now started calculating my intake and tracking it with the Calorie Count website.

QUICK BITES: What have you learned about yourself with this process?

CATHERINE: That I can do this! I can help a cause that is near and dear to me. I am raising money for the leukemia and lymphoma society (LLS) and meeting cancer survivors along the way that have benefited from treatments that were funded by LLS. I am proud of every dollar I raise and every mile I am run. I CAN DO THIS! I am not longer scared.

Follow me on my journey and help the cause. Visit my website today!

No comments:

Post a Comment