Saturday, February 6, 2010

Easy Cooked Apples in the Microwave with Endless Uses

My favorite fruit is clearly the apple. When Aaron and I got married in Nov 2005, our theme was granny smith apples with chocolate brown. I love caramel apples for a fun treat in the Fall and one of my favorite toppings for toast is homemade apple butter! When I want cooked apples for oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, granola and vanilla yogurt, or ice cream, I make cooked cinnamon apples in the microwave since it's so easy!

I made these apples this morning to put on top of my buttermilk whole wheat waffles that I made for breakfast. I topped my waffle with cooked apples and pecans with a bit of maple syrup. Aaron was shoveling all the snow in the driveway and the front of the house after shoveling last night, too! We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and overnight so he was looking forward to a treat this morning!
Easy Microwave Cooked Apples for One:
  • Peel, core, and slice an apple. Place the apple in a microwaveable container with a top (like the one in the picture).
  • Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon and a dash of ground nutmeg. Add about 1 inch of water. Cover loosely with the top, but not completely sealed.
  • Cook on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir.
  • Cook on HIGH for 30 second intervals until the apples are done. The apples may overflow if you cook for longer. I've done that many times! :)
  • Your apples should be cooked after 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain the water from the apples and add a sprinkle of sugar/stevia extract/or drop of honey to sweeten, if desired.
  • Keep the top on to keep warm until you're ready to use the apples.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment