Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Morning Treat: Homestyle Whole Wheat Waffles

For my third week of Sunday morning breakfast blogging, I decided to make homestyle buttermilk waffles. Aaron was excited because we've had our waffle iron in storage for about 1 year! Bring it on! I have a recipe that I adapted from my brother-in-law's grandmother, Rosalee Gingerich, who sadly died just before this past Christmas. She was such a fabulous cook that her family created a compilation cookbook and my sister-in-law, Megan, and her husband, Todd Gingerich, gave me a copy of the book since I love to cook so much when Aaron and I first got together. Rosalee has recipes for homemade pickle relish, ketchup, jams, and tons and TONs of family meal goodness. I used to make these waffles in our Chicago condo and I have modified her recipe so it has 1/2 the original butter and I use 1/2 whole wheat flour to boost the fiber.

Serving suggestions: Aaron likes his waffles very simple with syrup. I like to add things to mine to make it more nutritious. You can see today, I topped my waffle with slices of bananas, pecan pieces and local maple syrup. When serving this to your family, think of other fun toppings like peanut/almond butter, jams, cooked and spiced apples, and any other nuts like slivered almonds or walnuts.

Homestyle Belgium Waffles Makes 4 large waffles
Adapted from Rosalee Gingrich, Indiana grandmother and wonderful home cook.

2 cups flour (1 cup white/1 cup whole wheat)
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, whites and yolk separated
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk or lowfat milk

1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, melted butter, and milk. Add to dry ingredients.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy (see picture). Add to the mix.
4. Preheat the waffle iron. When warm coat with cooking spray. Cook batter in 4 even waffles.

Enjoy the waffles right away. They store in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment