Slow Cooker Lentil Stew
Serve with brown rice and top with grated cheese such as Parmesan or sharp cheddar.
- 2 cups dried lentils, washed and drained
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1-14oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water (or 2 cups water, 2 cups broth)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Penzey's Northwoods Fire Seasoning (or smoked paprika, thyme, and cayenne)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Night before: Fill slow cooker with rinsed lentils, diced onions, carrots, and celery. You can also add dry seasonings if you want. Keep the slow cooker turned off.
- Morning: Add wet ingredients - tomato sauce, tomato paste, water/broth, and garlic. Turn on slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Evening: Stir lentil stew and add more prepared broth to your consistency preference. Keep warm. Prepare brown rice and serve.