Monday, February 22, 2010

Ham, Broccoli, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole for Feeding a Crowd

This weekend, we hosted 4 good friends from Chicago. We had some great laughs and at one point, I laughed so hard that I couldn't even speak and my eyes were tearing up. Those are fun times! Since I'm 37 weeks pregnant, I was trying to think of meal options that are easy to manage with my low energy, but would feed all 6 of us easily. For Saturday night dinner, I made beef and bean chili in the slow cooker and served it with all the fixings and a simple green salad with homemade vinaigrette.

Then on Sunday morning, I made an easy Ham, Broccoli, and Cheese Egg Casserole and served it with Raisin and Maple Bran Muffins and sliced fresh strawberries. Lots of egg casserole recipes I've seen are covered with fatty pork sausage, tons of cheese, and bread that you have to soak overnight. Those are great for special treats, but this version is really easy to make in the morning. Even better, you can use the baking time to prep the rest of the breakfast (see serving suggestions below). The entire casserole averages about 1 egg per person and since yolks carry lots of nutrition, I forgo the mix of egg whites and whole eggs. Check out my previous post about the nutrition of eggs.

Ham, Broccoli, and Cheese Egg Casserole (Serves 8)

Ingredients:
  • 3 whole wheat tortillas
  • 16 oz bag frozen broccoli florets
  • 8 oz low-sodium ham diced
  • 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • 8 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
Preparation:
  • Defrost frozen broccoli in the microwave. Coat 9'x13' baking casserole dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the dish with 3 tortillas and place them so there is no gap on the bottom to form the crust.
  • While broccoli is defrosting, dice ham and shred cheese (if needed).
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Slice broccoli in small pieces and spread broccoli and then ham evenly in the casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly.
  • Whisk eggs, milk, sour cream, dry mustard, and salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over evenly on the entire casserole dish.
  • Bake in the oven on 350 degrees for 40 minutes, until the eggs have set.
  • Cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Serving suggestions: While the casserole is baking, you can set the table and prepare the coffee, tea, and cut fresh fruit for your guests. Fresh fruit and toast are simple sides for this breakfast entree. Serve the egg casserole with hot sauce and sour cream for your guests to enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this, Amanda! I am going to try it soon! Now, what about that chili recipe? Can you tell I'm hungry :) jk, but I am really trying to cook more, and I am always looking for an easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete