Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grain and Dairy Free Banana Nut Waffles

The waffles smell fantastic!

We served the waffles with butter and maple syrup along side pears.
Last Sunday, I tried a new waffle recipe. Ava and I loved them! Aaron wasn't a fan, but he's picky. We're doing fine with whole grains and dairy, but the recipe sounded really tasty! I saw the waffle recipe on the Joyful Abode blog and Emily raved about the recipe so I had to try it.

The waffles are made with ripe bananas, almond meal (flour), eggs, and pumpkin spice. It smelled like a pumpkin pie was baking! I can see why Emily's daughter called them cookies. They're sweet and have fall spices. Ava and I love anything with cinnamon. Aaron loves the homestyle buttermilk waffles that we usually make when we're in the mood for waffles. You might want to give it a try if you want a traditional waffle.

I buy almond meal at Trader Joe's, but you can find it at Whole Foods or other health food store. Another idea is to make the waffles with half almond meal and half whole wheat flour to make the texture spongier like a grain consistency.

I instantly thought of my sister-in-law, Jessica, who battles wheat and dairy sensitivities when I made the waffles. She uses Earth Balance instead of butter, but this recipe calls for coconut oil to grease the waffle iron. It reminded me of using coconut oil in place of butter. I tried the Earth Balance on a slice of fresh bread when we were visiting Jessica in Portland and I couldn't eat it. Since she hasn't eaten butter in so long, she likes it.

Paleo Banana Nut Waffles from Joyful Abode Recipe (makes 3 full size waffles).
Do you think Ava liked the waffles? :)

Although, the downside to eating waffles is that I need to eat them with more protein. It's not just this waffle recipe, but any time that I eat just waffles or pancakes for breakfast. I was very hungry after a couple hours of eating my waffle. I thought it may fill me up because there are 4 eggs in the batter and almonds have protein. Next time, I'll eat them with additional protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment