Monday, July 12, 2010

Easy Weeknight Turkey Cheese Burger

I went to Yoder's, my favorite meat shop, this weekend while we were up in Northern Indiana and stocked up on local, hormone free meat. We brought the frozen meat home in the cooler and one of my ground turkey packages partially defrosted so I had to think of something really easy to cook for dinner with the ground turkey. So I decided to make turkey burgers since I already had buns. We don't have a grill yet for the house (we needed too many other things first) so I just made these burgers on a cast iron skillet. But, try my recipe on the grill.

Is that a carrot in my burger? Yoder's is a family business with high quality meat. Their ground turkey is very moist, but I still wanted to add something to keep it moist since I was cooking it on the stove. I used shredded carrot and it added a slightly sweet dimension. Aaron doesn't like onions too much so I thought the carrot would work perfectly. I took two bites before I decided it was good enough to blog about! I served it up with frozen sweet potato fries from Trader Joe's. My favorite hamburger buns are from Trader Joe's, too. They're very hearty, whole wheat buns that have a slightly sweet flavor. We added a slice of American cheese (from Yoder's! - love that place...) and a little mayo and ketchup and we were good to go.


Amanda's Easy Weeknight Turkey Cheese Burger
Make 4 burgers
  • 1 pound high quality ground turkey (maybe get a mix ground thigh with ground breast)
  • 1 tbs crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 1 large shredded carrot
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 whole wheat buns
  • 4 slices cheese
  • Favorite condiments, such as - mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, avocado, sweet relish, sauteed mushrooms, etc
Preheat cast iron skillet or grill on medium heat.

Mix ingredients in a bowl with your hands. Score the meat mixture in 4 even sections. With your hands form a patty, flattening evenly.

Cook burgers about 5 minutes on each side. Make sure to use a meat thermometer if you have any doubts to ensure that the turkey is cooked.

Assemble the burger and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment