I got a spaghetti squash in my produce bin one week and since Aaron doesn't like squash, I thought I'd be creative to get him to eat it. I found this post from the Inspired Chef about Spaghetti Squash recipe from Moosewood, a vegetarian restaurant in New York. I modified the recipe because Aaron won't eat mushrooms and I thought I'd replace the fresh tomatoes with marinara sauce. I've made a Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Casserole and posted it to this blog, but this was a bit fluffier in texture. It turned out great! Sadly, though Aaron ate it that night for dinner, I'm on my own for the leftovers. I'm hoping I'll turn him into a squash lover eventually!
I cooked the spaghetti squash one day and stored it in the refrigerator, which made the casserole very easy to make quickly on a busy evening. I highly recommend to make that ahead since the squash takes an hour to cook in the oven.
Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole: Serves 4
- One - 1lb spaghetti squash
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbs or more Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Make the squash ahead if you can. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place in about 1 inch of water in a large casserole dish in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour. See my post about Spaghetti Squash Lasagna for a picture. When cooked let cool, then use a fork to pull out the noodle-like flesh. Set aside in a container and store in the refrigerator.
- Saute onions and garlic in a small skillet over medium heat with olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked spaghetti squash with sauteed onion mixture, Italian seasoning, salt/pepper, shredded mozzarella, and breadcrumbs.
- Spread squash mixture in a square 8"x8" baking dish. Spread evenly with marinara sauce. Layer sliced olives and shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Bake casserole for 40 minutes.