Friday, September 24, 2010

Breakfast Burrito You Can Make in 5-minutes and Eat On-the-Go

Last week, I went to my company's user conference locally, thankfully, so I didn't have to travel. I came home every night to spend time with Ava and did daycare drop off. Needless to say it was a very busy week, but rewarding because I learned a lot. Since I was on-the-go even more than usual, I packed myself this breakfast burrito since it's easy to eat in the car, or reheat at the office. I even made on today in about 5 minutes before I left for an event with the baby.

The reason why breakfast burritos are so easy is because you don't have to toast bread, they're portable, and the egg makes them really nutritious. My easy breakfast burrito has 2 eggs, shredded cheese, over a smear of refried beans and a dash of hot sauce.

Here is my foolproof way to efficiently cook and pack your breakfast burrito.

What you need:
  • 1 tortilla (8-inch) multigrain, wheat or flour
  • 2 eggs
  • Shredded cheddar
  • Refried beans
  • Hot sauce
For packing:
  • Plastic wrap
  • Paper towel
  • Aluminum foil
How to make it:
  • Preheat a small skillet to medium heat.While the skillet is preheating, pull out the eggs, cheese, hot sauce and tortilla from the fridge.
  • When the skillet is warm, coat skillet with cooking spray and add eggs. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
  • Break yolks as the eggs to scramble to cook even faster.
  • Use a large size paper towel and place tortilla. Add a smear of refried beans and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Set aside by the skillet.
  • In the microwave, heat tortilla for 30-45 seconds on High.
  • Add cooked eggs on top of the beans and cheese tortilla. Roll the sides up and then use a small sheet of foil to wrap half the burrito, exposing one side open to eat it on the go. OR for packing to reheat at work, just wrap it in plastic wrap.
You can see from the pictures that I made this burrito one day when I reheated it at work before my team meeting. And then today, I made a burrito to eat in the car. Both work out really well. Even better, the breakfast burrito is packed with protein, fiber from the beans, and a bit of fat from the cheese to help you stay full longer. The egg is provides good brain and heart-healthy nutrition.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment