Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wholesome Weekend Treat: Whole Grain Quinoa Bread

I just made this wholesome bread from my Feeding the Whole Family cookbook by Cynthia Lair. It's a whole grain bread made with quinoa, but you can use any other cooked grain that you have leftover. I made the starter yesterday afternoon with the food processor to puree the quinoa grain with water. The starter fermented overnight and then today, I added the flour and let it rise before putting it into the loaf pans. It hardly requires excessive kneading.

The bread bakes with a butter, honey, salt, and honey glaze, which gives the bread a beautiful finish and flavor. I sweetened the bread with honey from a family friend. It was fantastic! I made it at my in-laws house and they both liked it. My mother-in-law thought the whole house smelled delicious as it was baking.

I tried the bread with a bit of butter and the baby mouthed a piece and enjoyed it. It would be great to serve with a meal of soup or stew. You can experiment with the grains and combinations.

Here's the bread recipe from a blog post I found. I highly recommend the book!

April 28, 2011 update: I also made this bread last weekend with leftover oats from Saturday's breakfast and it turned out great. The bread is very hearty and earthy. We've served it as as grilled cheese and tomato sandwich or toasted with egg salad, peanut butter, or just butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment