Friday, May 15, 2009

Mystery Veggie from My Produce Box

I order a biweekly shipment of produce from Timber Creek Farms. This time, I was stumped at something in my box. I knew it was a root vegetable of some kind. That's the fun about getting produce boxes because you don't know what will be in there.

After using Google Images, I identified that funny looking root vegetable was in my produce box. It turns out that it was Celeriac (celery root), which is in season is Autumn and Winter (strange that I got it in the spring!). The search led me to website for a Mennonite cookbook Simply In Season, which incidentally I have on-hand. They recommend shredding for coleslaw or boiling to puree in mashed potatoes.

I'll give it a try and report back!

Update May 18, 2009 - I made Curry Ginger Butternut Squash Soup with the celeriac, carrots, and butternut squash - all from my produce box. I served it with Mini Salmon Cakes over fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes tossed in lemon juice and olive oil. Check out my post for the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment